Extra PSG waveforms

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
FavoritoHJS

Extra PSG waveforms

Post by FavoritoHJS »

Now, I know this probably won't fit in the small amount of FPGA left in the VERA, just throwing out ideas that might be viable with sufficient effort for a future revision that might have more space for logic.
  • 1) XORed triangle, basically what tildearrow's [em]tildearrow sound unit[/em] does for waveform 7

In short, the pulse width register sets where the wave stops being "normal" and starts being "inverted".

This is easy to do with an XOR, plus it can be reused for pulse waves, which should free a few LUTs.
  • 2) Custom taps for reduced-period LFSR. Instant Atari bass, just add silicon!

Tap points should be selected carefully to ensure the random stream of bits does not get a significant period change based on the current LFSR state. Ideally a way to reset the LFSR would be present, but I don't think that's very possible...

The final setup will have 4 or 5 bits selecting which gates of the LFSR to set, and one or two to determine the bit-depth of the output waveform.
  • 3) Sawtooth Envelope

This was the hardest to think of, I was fearing this would be unchanged... until I remembered that envelope bass was a thing, and it had A Sound that could be easy to replicate.

One bit to switch between saw or triangle generator, 2 bits to determine harmonic - whether to duck with a frequency of 2x, 4x, or 8x of fundamental, or to use the top phase bit of the previous channel, leaving 3 bits for... anything really, so long as it's cheap.
PS: What is the difference between the cx16forum.com and commanderx16.com domain names? they both have a main page and a forum, and are linked by official content, yet don't share login status because they are different websites, so...

PPS: Is there enough left for a "fine" bitmap address start offset? could be useful for smooth scrolling a la VGA.
everything is so broken building anything is like building on a pile of sand -me 5 dec. 2023
VERA suggs: Extra PSG Waves(viewtopic.php?t=6923) Togg Opacity and Bitmap Fine Addr.(viewtopic.php?t=6981)