Flash Cartridge

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
SonicGamer2007

Flash Cartridge

Post by SonicGamer2007 »

I would like a Flash Cartridge with an SD Card Slot!

— Dasian Williams (age 16)
TomXP411

Re: Flash Cartridge

Post by TomXP411 »

Why? There's an SD slot on the motherboard.

The flash cart makes sense, and a RAM cart is going to be a great way to build your own "multi-game cart."

But there's no need for an SD card on the cart, since you have one on the motherboard.
Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

I think the idea is that the card can copy data down from the SD card into the flash similar to super cartridges for old consoles that could configure themselves as one of hundreds of cartridges. (I would use SRAM instead of flash to avoid the problem of wear.)

For the X16, this doesn't make much sense, at least not yet, since there is only one cartridge in existence and it copies the data from the cartridge into low RAM before running it.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, I have two three SNES and NES Flash carts, and they are actually three different things in one.

There’s a simple SD card reader, an FPGA, some ROM, and a bunch of RAM. When you first boot the cartridge, the ROM is visible to the CPU, and the cart’s management software runs. The management program can copy data from files on the flash card over to RAM or flash ROM on the cart.

The FPGA is there to provide mappers and extra features that were implemented on game carts. Most games had hardware to bank switch, and some games had extra processing or even battery backed RAM for saving games.

So obviously none of that is required for the X16. This leaves us with… “there already is a flash ROM cart. We are just waiting for TexElec to start selling it.”