Does the CX16 emulator set to 8 MHz run at a similar speed to the actual hardware?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
ahenry3068

Re: Does the CX16 emulator set to 8 MHz run at a similar speed to the actual hardware?

Post by ahenry3068 »

funkheld wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:54 am --------------------------------------------
GRAPH_draw_image in the latest ROM on github IS "Banked RAM aware" and can handle image size
in Banked Ram all the way to 320 x 240
-------------------------------------------

Does this also affect the x16 emulator please?

Thanks.
greeting
Yes. The emulator uses the exact ROM that would be used on the hardware. To upgrade the ROM on the emulator you would download the latest from GitHUB. Build it (with make) then either copy it over the rom.bin in the Emulator directory (not recommended immediately)

You can also start the Emulator with a different ROM ./x16emu -rom NewRom.bin
ahenry3068

Re: Does the CX16 emulator set to 8 MHz run at a similar speed to the actual hardware?

Post by ahenry3068 »

funkheld wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:51 am That means you could create the image 320x200?
That would be wonderful too.

Please do a small clear demo in cc65 or prog8?
is very interesting.
I haven't read about it yet.
explain this to us laypeople?

Thanks.
greeting

I haven't done much in p8. I have some example code in BASIC here viewtopic.php?t=7191
funkheld

Post by funkheld »

Thanks for the info.

I can't find the page for the rom, which is in the source code.
GitHUB. Build???
./x16emu -rom NewRom.bin???

https://github.com/X16community/x16-emulator/releases?

with what it should then be compiled please.
I don't have a program for that.
i have win11.

Thanks.
greeting

????????
------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. The emulator uses the exact ROM that would be used on the hardware. To upgrade the ROM on the emulator you would download the latest from GitHUB. Build it (with make) then either copy it over the rom.bin in the Emulator directory (not recommended immediately)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

funkheld wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:05 pm Thanks for the info.

I can't find the page for the rom, which is in the source code.
GitHUB. Build???
./x16emu -rom NewRom.bin???

https://github.com/X16community/x16-emulator/releases?

with what it should then be compiled please.
I don't have a program for that.
i have win11.

Thanks.
greeting

????????
------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hope I didn't cause confusion. You have to have the ca65 toolchain installed to build the emulator ROM. (I haven't done it on Windows actually, but I know it can be done). NewRom.bin was only a placeholder file name, You have to HAVE NewRom.bin 1st for that to work.
funkheld

Post by funkheld »

Thanks for the info.
I have completely installed this cc65.

Where is the exact source code from the ROM so that I can create this rom.bin? I can't find the source code from the new ROM.

Can't you put this new rom.bin for the emulator here in the forum? I think that's easier. Then everyone who protects the emulator will have the current version to test.

Thanks.
greeting
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

funkheld wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:57 pm Thanks for the info.
I have completely installed this cc65.

Where is the exact source code from the ROM so that I can create this rom.bin? I can't find the source code from the new ROM.

Can't you put this new rom.bin for the emulator here in the forum? I think that's easier. Then everyone who protects the emulator will have the current version to test.

Thanks.
greeting
https://github.com/X16Community/x16-rom
funkheld

Post by funkheld »

hello, thanks for help.

greeting