RetroGameEngine for x16

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
unartic

General - CX16 RetroGameEngine for x16

Post by unartic »

With the RetroGameEngine for x16, anyone can develop 2D top-down view RPG-style games, and in the near future, platform games like Mario Bross. The engine includes a tile editor, map editor, scripting language, events, timers, and functions for sound and graphics.

I've recorded a video to showcase some of its features. Please check the user guide to get a feeling of what can be done with the engine.

The current version is still in beta. I hope many of you are going to create your own games with it so the engine runs through its paces, flushing out any remaining bugs.

If you find a bug, please post it here and if you've created a game, post it here as wel! If you have any feature requests, just post them here.

Demonstration video

I'll post more short video's about specific features of the engine, so if you subscribe you'll get notified.

You will need to read the user guide (or at least watch the video) to understand what to do. I've included a tileset with the name: 'space.tls' which you can load into the tileset window by rightclicking on the first tile and click 'Load>Tileset'. But you can also load any tileset created with TilemapEd (tiles.bin).

The engine:
rge.zip
(355.61 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Userguide.pdf
(188.96 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
darvidanoar

Re: RetroGameEngine for x16

Post by darvidanoar »

That's very cool.
mwiedmann

Post by mwiedmann »

Love this! Great work!
GTR3QQ

Post by GTR3QQ »

:D
well done!
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Awesome project unartic.. Great job. Hopefully I'll have time to explore it more. Looks awesome upfront.
Ed Minchau

Post by Ed Minchau »

This is excellent. I'm going to have to take a close look at your scripting language and interrupt routine to see if I can adapt some of this for the 3d first person shooter game engine I'm working on.
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

Are you perhaps considering adding a BMX loader to load graphics made in other programs?
unartic

Post by unartic »

It’s already possible to display bmx images :-) the only recuirement is they have to be with the default
Palette, because of all other graphics.
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

hey hey thats cool
Andy Petrie

General - CX16 Re: RetroGameEngine for x16

Post by Andy Petrie »

Awesome Job, keep up the great work. I get my X16 on Monday June 3rd. Can't wait to try your creation out.
Commander X16, Sinclair ZX Spectrum Next and MEGA65. Modern Retro all the way